Haitian Proverb of the Week

"Chemen bezwen pa janm long" (The road to need is never long)

Friday, October 9, 2009

This week in Haiti!

It's been a pretty eventful week here at GLA! I haven't written in a while partly because internet's been down at the Toddle house for a few days, and partly because I've been really busy filling out a FQRNT scholarship application which I'd potentially use for a Master's project next year. One other highlight of this week was me being sick all day yesterday (for the first time since I've been here though, so I guess that's not too bad). Quite a few others got sick too, so maybe it was something in some of the water or food? Who knows. I slept almost the entire day, and got to experience hot & cold flashes for the first time (how interesting.). But feeling almost 100% today! We also did the monthly photo shoot earlier this week, which for the record takes about 12 hours total (170 kids/ 12 hours strikes me as a pretty decent average)! There was also the birthday party for the kids born in october, but I missed that as I was lying in bed probably passed out. I also got some sad news today about one of the kids I realize now I'd gotten pretty attached too; his biological parents changed their minds and came back to bring him home with them. Which in itself wouldn't be very sad, except that he's HIV+ and it's doubtful that they'd have the money to get him all the medical help he'll need. It's pretty heartbreaking, he was probably the happiest, smiliest kid here. I'm not sure what the outlook is for HIV+ positive kids who go without treatment, but I'd imagine it's not too good. Hmm I almost started crying when I found out. But such is life in Haiti I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment