Haitian Proverb of the Week

"Chemen bezwen pa janm long" (The road to need is never long)

Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's been another action-packed week here in Haiti! We did the November photo shoot (my third one now), which went quite well, with only minimal stubborn non-smileyness. I think the ease with which most kids here can be made to smile is probably a good indication of how well the kids are treated here... although making them pose and smile and look towards the camera all at the same time is sometimes a different story :)
One other exciting thing that happened was that the parents of one of "my" 8 kids came to the orphanage for the first time! Haiti introduced a new regulation a few months ago requiring all adoptive parents to make a trip to Haiti to meet their adoptive child and fill out some paperwork before the adoption can be completed; so in essence, parents now have to come down once to visit, and then again to bring their kid home 6 months to a year later. It seems like a bittersweet couple of days; the parents are of course happy to spend some time with their child, but then heartbroken to have to leave. Without trying to sound too corny, I find it quite touching to see time and time again how much parents can love a child they have never technically met before, but will one day be taking home. Many seem to bond instantly, but it sometimes takes a few days for a kid (especially 2 to 3 year-olds) to warm up to these new people, and sometimes will throw a fit, or cry for hours, or refuse to be touched. So it can be pretty hard for everyone involved.
But back to the parents coming to visit "my" kid (who obviously is much more "their" kid); they did an amazing job with him, got him to smile and everything, and it made me so happy to see what wonderful parents he will have. I'll bet he'll have a wonderful life. The visit also made me realize how much I've gotten attached to some of the kids here. I've found myself imagining what it would be like if I brought a couple home with me (always knowing that legally of course I wouldn't even be allowed, as I'm not even old enough), or hoping that if I have kids that they end up being like some of my favourites here. Well who knows, maybe 35-year-old Michelle will end up bringing a baby Haitian back to Canada. Never know!


No comments:

Post a Comment