Haitian Proverb of the Week

"Chemen bezwen pa janm long" (The road to need is never long)

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Middle 'o the Week in Haiti

It's funny how, even though individual hours can drag by during the day, the days and weeks themselves seem to fly by. I must admit it can get pretty monotonous (read, boring) to spend 8 hours a day with kids too small to even speak. But I'm starting to know my 8 kids pretty well, dare I say maybe even a little attached, and I genuinely do enjoy spending time with them. And I reckon they like spending an hour a day with me, too!

In other news, I just found out that my mom's going to Sudan for her work in a few weeks. Sudan! Not to the Darfur region, but still... We're turning into quite the world-traveling family! For the heck of it I googled "world's most dangerous places", and although there's no definitive list ("dangerous" being quite arbitrary after all), I found that I've been to 3 that usually make the Top 10, and sometimes even Top 5 list. Haha. For the record, the 3 are Port-au-Prince (Haiti), Bogota (Colombia) and Tegucigalpa (Honduras). None of them seemed all that bad to me though, and I'm sure there are much worse places you could visit. Then again, maybe I just didn't visit the rougher neighbourhoods.

What else is new? Oh we just got some new volunteers in (mennonites!), which is always exciting. And the "Only in Haiti" story of the week is: we were driving back up to the Toddler House a couple nights back, when our driver suddenly stopped at the side of the road. Looking up we could see that the palm leaves of a tree were rubbing against some electric wires that were apparently stripped, and the wires were throwing off big sparks and little bits of leaves were catching on fire. We looked at it a moment, then drove on. What can you do? There's noone you can call to report that kind of thing. Luckily the town didn't burn down in the night :) But as was rightfully pointed out to me, at least most of the houses here and made from cinderblocks and not wood, so it would be difficult to burn them down. Only in Haiti!




Quite possibly world's cutest baby

1 comment:

  1. Hey it's Wyclef! Speaking of Wyclef, how big is he down there? Is he considered a big success story?

    ReplyDelete