Haitian Proverb of the Week

"Chemen bezwen pa janm long" (The road to need is never long)

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mwen renmen Haiti (but still can't speak creole)

First week's almost over! I figured I'd post some pics of a few of the kids I've been working with, guaranteed 100% cuteness.
I've still been having a hard time remembering a lot of the kids' names, but I'm learning! Not easy wading into a room full of 60 or so knee-high toddlers and picking out the one you're looking for, especially when they're all moving, outfit-swapping targets. If only I could get them all to wear teeny little nametags... I spent a couple hours playing with some of the older kids today too. They conveniently know their own names, and have (also conveniently) been teaching me a bit of Creole. And braiding random bits of my hair. (I think I'll probably stick with the ol' non-braided look for now).
Back on the Creole front though, some progress is being made. Knowing french will give me a big advantage, and phonetically haitian creole is probably one of the easiest languages out there, that and Bahasa Indonesia. It's basically like how french be written if they got rid of all of those retard silent letters everywhere. And the verbs don't even need to be conjugated! Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Michelllee! Your blog is awesome - the kids are adorable - are you using portrait mode? lol
    It must be hard though ... Keep writing :) And good luck with the Creole ! xox Carole

    ReplyDelete